"On the outskirts of every agony sits some observant fellow who points." --Virginia Woolf
Wednesday, January 02, 2008
1. Day three of food poisoning: all systems go--I can manage to maneuver a bicycle sans projectile vomiting.
2. I am secretly protesting the false martyrdom of Benazir Bhutto. She ain't no saint--take it from her niece, who said so in the LA Times back in November.
3. If you thought Weezer was bad back in the day, don't buy the Rivers Cuomo home recordings, even if Pitchfork says it's good. I can imagine myself pulling a Christian Bale in "American Psycho"-style slashing to the tune of "Chess," just read the lyrics to know what I'm talking about.
4. The average Dutchman is now taller than the average American due to U.S. pollution. Also, cats have more sex because of global warming.
5. I just invented a new breakfast dish entitled "Grecian Surprise." Not because it contains Grecian Formula, but because it involves spanakopita.
I am uncommonly mobile; I have circumnavigated the globe eight times, walking amazing distances. Through the South Island of New Zealand to the Southern Alps. From Chile to the Andes in Argentina. Across the Serengeti in Africa. I made 300 ascents of mountains 10,000 ft. tall or more, including the Matterhorn, Mont Blanc, and Kilimanjaro. I traveled alone, aided only by my porters, sketching volcanos and collecting wildflowers along the way.