Friday, October 12, 2007

SPEAKING TRUTHINESS TO POWER: REVISITED


This morning I watched Stephen Colbert on Larry King Live, pitching away for his new book, "I Am America (And So Can You)." Of the many good points made, one which stuck with me was when Colbert said that school children should be memorizing his White House Correspondents Dinner speech he made last year (video here), not the Gettysburg Address.

In a way, I would have to agree. There is so much anger and insight within his words if you read between the lines--just brilliant. And his commentary about the media and the war and...well, here's one of my favorite excerpts:

I believe the government that governs best is the government that governs least. And by these standards, we have set up a fabulous government in Iraq.

I believe in pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps. I believe it is possible -- I saw this guy do it once in Cirque du Soleil. It was magical. And though I am a committed Christian, I believe that everyone has the right to their own religion, be you Hindu, Jewish or Muslim. I believe there are infinite paths to accepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior.

Ladies and gentlemen, I believe it's yogurt. But I refuse to believe it's not butter. Most of all, I believe in this president.


Read the whole thing yourself here.

No comments: